Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Nomination Day, 2018!

Welcome back to my blog, everyone! 

The 2018 Oscar Nominations are out and the game is afoot! I will attempt to watch every film that is nominated in every category in time for the Oscar broadcast on March 4.

Out of 45 movies nominated in various categories, I have 30 yet to see over the next 42 days.

The full list of nominations can be viewed here.

My first task this morning was to look for Get Out on the list of nominees. So far, Get Out is my favorite film of the year. I just keep waiting for something to topple it from my number one spot and it hasn't happened yet! I am SO HAPPY to see that it is nominated not only for Best Picture, but also for the wonderful direction by Jordan Peele! 

Secondly, I wanted to see how the Academy is doing with underrepresented communities.  People of color make up 20% of the acting nominations. And in writing, 40% of the nominees are either POC or women. Seems like they are trying, maybe, but it's slow and needs more improvement.

So, who got snubbed? Nothing really stands out for me at the moment. I loved Jeremy Renner in Wind River, and enjoyed that movie a lot but I'm not crushed that they got left out. It is weird to see Three Billboards get so many nominations (for Best Picture, 3 actors, editing, music and writing) but not get love for the director. Someone always get left out of that director spot.

I'm always interested to see what are the weirdest movies that I am required to view. Kong: Skull Island is a surprise, as is Boss Baby. But other than that, it's not too appalling; no "50 Shades of anything" nominee this year.

As this Oscar season gets started, I am filled with excitement and trepidation! This year I have the pleasure of pursuing my own film making career and I am thick into the process of editing a feature film for The October People. Which is so great and also means I have much less time than usual.

As such, I will change my review style to reflect the time I have available and how tired I am! Shorter reviews, more movies covered per post. I have decided that each movie will get one shot at grabbing my attention. If I fall asleep, so be it, I'll just move on to the next!

Thank you for joining me on my journey into film insanity...even if you only join me for part of the way, or come along in spirit only. We have 42 days to stuff ourselves on Oscar gold; let's get to it!

Sincerely,

Autumn, The Oscar Glutton

No comments:

Post a Comment