Monday, January 21, 2019

A Star is Born

Movie: A Star is Born
Nominated for: Update - Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Original Song, Best Sound Mixing

When I fell asleep: I watched it in the morning so no worries.
When it had me: The first concert, when she goes onstage.
When it lost me: The orange hair? Really? Whatever.
What I have to say: I was NOT interested in this movie. Why does it need a third remake? Why should I care? I really was dragging my feet. And yet I have to give Cooper credit for doing the hard job of winning me over. Despite the fact that every turn this movie takes is utterly predictable, the performances were great enough to keep me watching. The editing and music leading up to her debut at his concert were absolutely thrilling; I was so invested at that point. Instead of asking myself why she was willing to go along with this self destructive dude (he's Bradley Cooper, so, duh!) or whether she contributed to his downfall (don't we blame the women always?), I found myself just glad that they got a little time to be there for each other before he had to tap out and before her career left no room for him. Lady Gaga outshone Bradley Cooper in the Acting department, but I did enjoy his gravelly voice thing (not as much Rocket Raccon's voice, but close.) This was extremely competently made and enjoyable. I hope for better from best picture, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment