Tuesday, January 22, 2019

NOMINATION DAY EXTRAVAGANZA!

The most exciting day for the Oscar Glutton is here! The nominations for the 2019 Academy Awards were announced this morning and now there is no more guessing. You can look at the full list here. But I know what you really want! You want to read about my reactions to the nominations.

Reaction 1:
I read the list of nominees and then I went out for a walk in Austria in spring time. I ran to the top of a grass covered hill, my arms outstretched and the snowy Alps majestic behind me as I twirled round and round and sang, "The Mule got zero nominations!!!!!!"  Then I went home and made lunches for the kids. (Note: I have not seen The Mule. Maybe it's a good movie? I have a long history of not enjoying Clint Eastwood movies so that's the reason for my jubilant relief this morning.)

Reaction 2:
After two weeks of getting up before dawn to drink raw eggs, watch movies and toughen my fists against freshly butchered sides of beef, I got up groggy and worn down. But my training had paid off. I have already seen all but 17 of the nominees this year! When I realized that I just started running, all the way to Philadelphia and straight up the steps to the Philadelphia Museum of Art my arms raised above my head in anticipation of my certain victory.

Reaction 3:
I found myself at home alone this morning as I listened to the nominations being announced. I had just finished pretending to shave when they announced the nominees for Best Documentary. I slapped aftershave on my face and screamed right into the camera, I mean, the bathroom mirror! I can't believe Won't You Be My Neighbor? was not among the films nominated in this category. I considered that one a lock since it came out. It surprises me because Morgan Neville won for his earlier effort, 20 Feet From Stardom and I thought this was a WAY more powerful doc. It just goes to show, you never know. Then I got dressed and double checked that all the doors were locked, just in case.

Some people are shocked that Bradley Cooper was "snubbed" for his direction of A Star is Born but since Spike Lee picked up his first nomination for that category this year, I don't find it that egregious.

No female directors were nominated this year but 4 movies helmed by women were recognized in one category or another. Those were Can You Ever Forgive Me? Free Solo, RBG and Capernaum. (And where are my lady editors at? I'm available, Hollywood! ) Women made up about 22% of the individual nominations (aside from acting) and people of color made up about 29% of those categories. However I am celebrating Black Panther being the first superhero movie ever nominated and bringing with it the first black Production Design nominee, Hannah Beachler. 

Thanks for joining me on this wonderful day of nominations. Now let's get back to watching movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment