Sunday, January 19, 2020

Acting! Brilliant! Thank you!

Movie: Pain and Glory
Nominated for: Actor in a Leading Role, International Feature Film
How I watched: The Laemmle
When I fell asleep: Did not
When it had me: Casually trying heroin?
When it lost me: I struggled a bit
What I have to say: This film had a feeling that stood out from most of what I have seen this year. Visually, it was stunning and bright; the whole thing felt warm and inviting and perfectly designed. However, the story felt very thin and stretched at times, meandering around the edges of an aging film maker's world. I appreciated the aesthetic but found myself sometimes bored, struggling to connect with the film. I do think Antonio Banderas was very good but I don't know if his performance would have stood out for me if everyone wasn't already talking about him.





Movie: The Two Popes
Nominated for: Actor in a Leading Role, Actor in a Supporting Role, Adapted Screenplay
How I watched: Netflix
When I fell asleep: I might have, but I was folding laundry
When it had me: It took a while but it got there
When it lost me: The first act was rough
What I have to say: I did NOT want to watch this movie, not one bit. I sighed and rolled my eyes a lot during the first act, as it slowly wound it's way through the life of the current Pope. I did not care as the Cardinals convened to navigate the tricky process of naming a new Pope. But slowly, as the plot honed itself in to two guys talking through their visions of the world and their differences, it actually built some interest for me. I found myself wanting to see what understanding they could reach and how they would resolve their Papal stalemate. I consider that a big win for this movie.





Movie: Harriet
Nominated for: Actress in Leading Role, Original Song
How I watched: We caught it at the cheap theatre! Phew!
When I fell asleep: Not a bit
When it had me: Right from the start
When it lost me: Never
What I have to say: I knew just the broad strokes about Harriet Tubman going into this film and I was fully transfixed by every second of her story. The acting was wonderful, the story gripping and the costumes were so very cool. Angelina and I both adored this movie. It's too bad it didn't garner a few more nominations. I've been wondering why it didn't. I found this movie just as emotionally affecting as 1917; Harriet only lacked the exhilaration of the film making trickery at work in that film. Is the problem that history films are a difficult sell? Because I was NOT excited to see 1917 until I knew about the trick, so that makes sense. Or is the problem that Kasi Lemmons had a $17 million budget instead of a $100 million budget? If so, Hollywood, please give her more money. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment