Monday, February 26, 2024

To Kill A Tiger

 

No tigers are harmed! In fact, there are no tigers in the movie. But the film maker asked everyone not to share images from the movie in order to protect the family so just look at this scary, adorable baby!

 

Movie: To Kill A Tiger

Running Times: 2:05

Nominated for: Documentary Feature

How I watched: Laemmle

When it had me: Support for Victims

When it lost me: Nope

What systems does it challenge: Toxic Masculinity, Misogyny

Here's a fun story about the screening. This movie was hard to find. I saw it was playing at the Laemmle but they literally only had one screening time listed. I thought that was a mistake but I grabbed a friend and showed up at the theatre. It was almost sold out because it turns out it also had a Q & A with the director. So we sat in the front row, which turned out to be very close in this theatre, and then got to have the film maker and interviewer practically sit on our laps after the movie! Exciting!

Also? I don't read up on what the movies are before I go. I like the surprise. Before it started there was a content warning about sexual assault. I told my friend, "Uh oh, it's not about tigers." But on the inside I was panicking, thinking, "Am I going to be sobbing directly into the lap of the director after this?"

To Kill a Tiger is a survivor's story. A young woman in India who has a father that will fight for her (an extremely rare occurrence) and she has access (yay!) to a fairly unfriendly justice system (boo!).

This movie felt like a tide turning. There are so many people willing to fight for justice and healing and reform of misogynistic societies. It is good and heart warming and hopeful to see this in action. But, of course, it is an extremely slow turning of the tide. There is push back from traumatized elders, lazy thinkers, well meaning nay-sayers, men who don't want to give up any power, outdated modes of thinking and laws that fail to understand the psychology of trauma. 

The changes that need to come won't happen without a prolonged and vigorous fight on many levels. However, this movie gave me hope, so I did not embarrass myself while sitting three feet from the interviewer from the Vanity Fair. Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment