Sunday, March 2, 2014

It's a Wrap! Happy Oscar Viewing!

I'm so excited!  It's finally Oscar day. My month and a half of attempting to watch every nominee in every category has come to a close. I'll probably begin watching useless coverage starting at noon today on E! Nothing ever happens other than entertainment reporters have plenty of time to fill, in which they can embarrass themselves.

I saw everything available to me this year, which was no small piece of work.  What I missed: The Missing Picture (aptly named), Broken Circle Breakdown, Ernest & Celestine, and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. (I sort of wish that was Ernest & Celestine & Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.)

As a wrap up, here is my favorite choice in each category:

Best Picture: This is the hardest category.  My favorite is Nebraska, (with big props to American Hustle, 12 Years A Slave, and Gravity)

Actor: Bruce Dern (unless he's really living in a constant fog, in which case, I'm so sorry to hear that, Laura. And then I'll pick Matthew McConaughey.

Actress: Cate Blanchett (for amazing range in a terrible movie)

Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (for making me forget you were Jordan Catalano, if only for a little while.)

Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o (Why were others nominated?)

Animated Feature: Frozen (I'll try not to cry tonight when Idina Menzel sings Let It Go, but I can't promise anything.)

Cinematography: Inside Llewyn Davis (for looking like memories)

Costume Design: The Great Gatsby (Did you see how many outfits they all had?)

Directing: Alfonso Cuaron (for integrating Visual Effects into a compelling story)

Documentary Feature: Dirty Wars (for making me less proud of my president)

Documentary Short Subject: Cave Digger (for being a fascinating story with gorgeous visuals: a perfect documentary topic!  Although, I have to say, the title character from The Lady in Number 6  won't leave me and might just be changing my life and I'm pretty sure, THAT is why I love movies.)

Film Editing: Gravity - Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger (And please note that it is criminal to leave Thelma Schoonmaker out of this category.)

Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty (my favorite Nominee this year!)

Make Up and Hair Styling: Dallas Buyers Club (by process of elimination)

Music: Gravity (I honestly don't remember the music and that means it was used sparingly.)

Song: Ordinary Love (Duh!  Have you met me?  It's U2!)

Production Design: Gravity (It can't always go to the The Great Gatsby-type movies)

Short Film, Animated: Get A Horse! (for clever use of old and new techniques)

Short Film, Live: Do I Have To Take Care of Everything? (for being so funny!)

Sound Editing: Lone Survivor (for gun shots)

Sound Mixing: Gravity (for knowing when to be quiet and when not to)

Visual Effects: Gravity (obviously)

Writing, Adapted: 12 Years A Slave (for making 12 years go by quicker for us than it did for Solomon)

Writing, Original: Nebraska (for giving you the impression that nobody wrote it)

I didn't have a chance to review every single film this year, so I will complete my reviews in one run-on sentence now. The Croods was funnier than I thought it would be, Frozen is the best movie in the world if you have two daughters, Despicable Me 2 is so, so wonderful, The Wind Rises was beautiful to look at for about twenty minutes and then boring, The Grandmaster was also beautiful to look at for about twenty minutes and then boring, I still can't believe I had to sit through Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa and The Lone Ranger was even worse than Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa, Iron Man Three's fight scenes using the multiple ejecting Iron Man suits totally captivated me, Star Trek: Into Darkness was really enjoyable because I love the new emotional Spock even though I can't believe Star Trek fans would stand for that, The Book Thief was pretty good but I bet the book was better, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was such a better movie that that first one and I always like a world where Hobbits and Elves are working together, Lone Survivor was a well structured story with strong performances and it's not really my thing, All is Lost was interesting, but hard to watch a movie with no dialogue so I ended up having to talk to the screen the whole time to fill the void which, I guess it was just lucky I watched it at home and Before Midnight was kind of great because it resembled my real life so much and kind of awful because it resembled my real life so much, when Julie Delpy says that passionate women who have children all head the way of Sylvia Plath, I was like, "Oh snap! Did she say that out loud? I don't think we're supposed to talk about that," but I should stop because maybe I am revealing too much about myself now. Leave a comment if you read this whole thing, I want to know who knows too much. See you next January!








1 comment: