Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Announcing the Oscar Nominations of 2017!!!

It's on like Donkey Kong here at The Oscar Glutton main offices, people! We have nominees! I repeat, we have nominees! All units mobilize!

This morning the Academy announced all the movies I need to watch, with an extra challenge. They announced about a week later than usual (probably because of the inauguration and all that crap). 

Here's my tally: I have seen 12 of the nominees! Yay! I still need to see 38 films. Holy hell.

It's ok. I can do this. I have the support of all of you, my eight faithful readers. And more and more as the years go on people say to me, "Autumn, can I accompany you to some Oscar screenings this year?" They carry my weary body to the theatre (no, they don't really), they hold open my eyelids when I fall asleep (well, sort of...), they pass me my tea when I am too weak to go on (um, this really isn't that hard, but...) so fear not, for me! I will get through.

The full list of nominees is here.

My real focus is how to fit in all the screenings but here are my first few thoughts about this year's list. I am really happy that Moonlight got 7 nominations, as that is my favorite movie of the year so far. Oscar is less white this year, with 35% of the acting nominations going to non-white actors. I'm glad to see progress being made there.

La La Land is going to be the picture to beat this year. It garnered 14 nominations which I have heard ties it for the most nominations of all time. And the category of "I have to watch WHAT for the Oscars???" is filled by Trolls, nominated for an original song, and Suicide Squad, nominated for Make Up.

So let's get started. We have much to do, dear readers.

Let the viewing begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment