Friday, January 27, 2017

The Arrival

In The Arrival, Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner have to figure out how to speak to aliens. It's an easy to understand task and the movie is anything but simple.

It's such an interesting concept! Our language is our only way to express our understanding of the world, so it can either limit us or free us from the restrictions we experience in how we interact with our reality. Look at that sentence I just wrote! What the heck am I even saying? I sound like I'm talking nonsense! This movie was DEEP, and it got me thinking sort of deeply, too. I love that.

So the restrictions that get lifted by learning the new language have to do with our experience of time. This is where the writing of The Arrival really kind of blew me away. Telling a story that messes with your concept of time seems so hard to me! It feels like so many pitfalls are hidden in that process, but this film really seemed to nail it. They leaked clues throughout, I felt like I knew what was happening for a while, then started to wonder if I knew what I thought I did and eventually they made it all click into place for me right when they wanted me to fully understand. I admire the absolute control they had over me as a viewer! So impressive.

In addition to all of these deep thoughts and story telling machinations, they tie everything directly into the personal and emotional story of her relationship with her daughter. They appeal to your empathy and humanity and ask you what your response would be if time were different, if life choices were made by alternate criteria.

This was a well made movie with such a skillful blend of crazy abstract concepts, a topsy turvy plot and a solid emotional core to anchor it. Ambitious and successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment