Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Animated Movies!

Movie: Mirai
Nominated for: Best Animated Feature
How I watched: Laemmle, with the kids
When I fell asleep: Nope
When it had me: When the parents fought over baby duties
When it lost me: The main kid was pretty annoying sometimes
What I have to say: My kids thought it was very funny and imaginative. I liked the themes of ancestry and growing into your sense of place in the world. Overall, it was fun but didn't quite feel like it found a perfect balance between the serious and zany elements.



Movie: Isle of Dogs
Nominated for: Best Animated Feature, Best Original Score
How I watched: On my DVR
When I fell asleep: A lot, I think
When it had me: ??
When it lost me: About a third of the way through, it hit me that if you say Isle of Dogs fast enough it sounds like you are saying, "I love dogs." Then I thought the whole movie was a gimmick and I was out.
What I have to say: Me and Wes Anderson are not compatible. 




Movie: Incredibles 2
Nominated for: Best Animated Feature
How I watched: Saw it twice over the summer

When I fell asleep: Nah
When it had me: When Elastigirl has to deal with some sexist B.S. from her own beloved hero man.
When it lost me: I'm not sure, but I think it did.
What I have to say: These movies are great. I am constantly amazed at the depth of issues that animated movies are wiling to tackle at this point in time. They manage to be so thoughtful, honest and delightful. I'm not sure if this is all Pixar's doing, but it sure feels like it.



Movie: Ralph Breaks the Internet
Nominated for: Best Animated Feature
How I watched: With the family, in the theatre
When I fell asleep: Nope.
What I have to say: Did this movie just take on toxic masculinity, stalking and the ethos of mass shooters, or is that just me? Did Ralph just feel entitled to complete and undivided attention from a woman and lose his crap completely when she didn't comply with his fantasy and lack the skills to handle his emotional response to that and instead try to use controlling behavior and force to get his way and in the course of that line of action did he actually threaten the lives of everyone within their immediate vicinity? No? It was just a kids' movie, right? Yeah, that's what I thought.
Damn, Pixar, you might just change this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment