Friday, February 22, 2019

The Movies I Watched A Long Time Ago: A Quiet Place, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Ready Player One

Movie: A Quiet Place
Nominated for: Best Sound Editing
How I watched: Theatrical Release
When I fell asleep: Not a chance
When it had me: Opening Sequence
When it lost me: Never
What I have to say: I was so blown away by the guts of the writers to have the worst thing imaginable happen right at the start of the film. I would have chickened out and simply threatened the worst thing just to make the audience fear it the whole time. Nope. We flat out watched it happen and then moved along with the rest of the movie. This was super great horror and I'm glad to see it get any kind of nod whatsoever.




Movie: Solo: A Star Wars Story
Nominated for: Best Visual Effects
How I watched: Theatrical Release
When I fell asleep: No, silly
When it had me: Meeting Chewie, Donald Glover
When it lost me: Alden Ehrenreich
What I have to say: At the time I said I enjoyed this just fine but looking back I view it as a rather painful experience. Absolutely ill-conceived to ever see anyone other than Harrison Ford play his iconic role. Also, it is simply backstory fluff with nothing of consequence to add to the Star Wars universe of films. What was enjoyable was the nostalgia...seeing Chewie meet Han, looking at the Falcon when it was clean. But is that worth it, really? Not for me.




Movie: Ready Player One
Nominated for: Best Visual Effects
How I watched: Theatrical Release
When I fell asleep: I did not
When it had me: Don't remember
When it lost me: Don't remember
What I have to say: I remember this as a thoroughly enjoyable summer action flick. It didn't change my life but it made me laugh and cheer on the heroes. Pop culture references were fun. Also, I had never read the book so I had no expectations for it to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment