Sunday, February 27, 2022

CODA

Movie: CODA

Nominated for: Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay
How I watched: Apple TV
When I fell asleep: Didn't
When it had me: When I learned that deaf people are noisy!
When it lost me: I don't think it did
What I have to say:
CODA stands for Children of Deaf Adults. This movie follows a family of four with only one hearing child. I love that deaf actors are getting so many more roles these days. That seems to be the primary reason for this film's nomination. This is a solid movie, an enjoyable movie. Also a movie lacking some extra oomph that makes it feel like a traditional "Oscar Movie". 

I don't mean that as a complaint. The idea of an "Oscar Movie" is so subjective and often silly. There is such a stereotype that it's only fit for the Academy if there is an actor transformation, an ugly crying scene, Nazi atrocities or cutting edge film technology. This movie isn't any of that, which makes it feel mild by comparison. However, I'd rather we include ten nominees, allow for some mild films and showcase actors who aren't usually a part of the norm.

I learned some things about living with and as deaf people, which was great. I cried a few times, so they definitely had me invested. I enjoyed all of the characters and their arcs. In fact, now that I think about it, this was an original story that wasn't a reboot or a sequel or based on a comic book. Maybe this movie is a unicorn, because it is exactly what they say doesn't get greenlit in Hollywood anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment