Thursday, February 10, 2022

Dune

Movie: Dune
Nominated for: Best Picture, Costume Design, Best Sound, Best Original Score, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Film Editing, Best Make-Up and Hairstyling
How I watched: A Theatre (gasp!)
When I fell asleep: I did not
When it had me: From the start
When it lost me: It didn't
What I have to say:
I read this over the summer in preparation for the movie. I never saw the original movie incarnation, but this one looked damn good so I made sure to get on board. This movie was steeped in mood and vibe and magnificent scope and thundering importance. It was one of those rare adaptations where everything felt correct; like somehow not exactly what I had pictured, but absolutely right nonetheless. The casting of this film was the single most astonishingly perfect piece. Who can play boyish but wise beyond his years and carry gravitas while looking like a mouse other than Timothee Chalamet? He is the one perfect choice! Everyone else was terrific as well and I can't wait for the second installment. The sound felt really tremendous in this movie. This was during one of those rare pockets of time where I felt safe enough to go to the movies, so it makes sense that full Dolby sound kind of knocked my socks off; I have been sadly deprived for a good while. The only down side may have been that you needed to read the book first to really dive in? Friends that did not start with knowledge of the book seemed to be a lot less impressed overall, which maybe makes it a movie that relies on a prior relationship with the source material; it should be able to stand on its own. That being said, my kids had not read it and still loved it, so it is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment