Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Into The Woods - Supporting Actress, Production Design

Every time Meryl Streep gets nominated I think she can't be great ALL the time. But she is. She is great ALL of the time and she blew me away in Into the Woods, even though it was "just" a musical and I thought it might be silly.

I thought the fairy tale aspects of the film were visualized well and all the acting was strong. Especially fun was Chris Pine as the tortured, charming and vapid prince. I believe the stage version of this story clearly benefits from the intermission that clearly sets apart the two act structure. The movie version suffers form having to simply plow forward from the sort of "false ending" that comes at the end of Act 1, and the film appears to drag or meander for a bit, before refocusing on its final goal.

All in all, it was a fun way to spend a day off school with my kids.


Angelina, guest reviewer, age 6, had this to say:

I liked it because, um, it turned out all right. I didn't like the sad parts. My favorite part was when the good characters won.


Viviana, guest reviewer, age 9, had this to say:

I thought Into the Woods was a really good movie because there were a lot of parts that were really funny, especially the Big Bad Wolf.  I thought parts of the movie were a bit too gruesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment