Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Miscellaneous Films

Movie: Maleficent 2
Nominated for: Make Up & Hairstyling
How I watched: At the second run theatre
When I fell asleep: Nope
When it had me: Did it?
When it lost me: Maleficent 1
What I have to say: While I'm all for telling the story from the villain's perspective, these movies just haven't worked for me. My kids love the character of the raven, Diaval, and I agree he is the best. For a movie that started as animated and then became live action, it fails to evolve as you might hope. The characters retain a cartoon-ish hold on stubbornness and naivete. The story introduces new characters and whole societies without much thought for logic or believability. I wish these movies were better.


Movie: The Lion King
Nominated for: Visual Effects
How I watched: Disney+
When I fell asleep: I drank two cups of tea! So, no.
When it had me: Donald Glover!
When it lost me:Re-animated rather than live action?
What I have to say: They are making all of these "Live Action" Disney remakes but this one is really just animated differently, which I never understood the need for. The Lion King, OG, was a fantastic film and we did not really need a new version where the characters show less expression. But, whateves. I still like this movie, because it's the same movie. Can You Feel the Love Tonight with Donald Glover and Beyonce was awesome, actually. In fact, I think I prefer the Donald Glover casting overall (Sorry, Matthew).  And the animation didn't annoy me which is a big deal, because "talking animals" is one of my least favorite genres. Anyway, have you seen the Mulan trailer? That one looks gooooood.




Movie: Breakthrough
Nominated for: Original Song, "I'm Standing With You"
How I watched: DVR
When I fell asleep: I wish!
When it had me: Dr. Kent!
When it lost me: In the development phase
What I have to say: This film is about a kid who fell through the ice and died but then came back and was fine because of prayers. Since I'm not Christian, there is really no way for me to connect to the story. My favorite part was when the doctor spoke to himself out loud in the ER, "Think, Kent, think!" He was trying to remember how to save a life, it was hilarious. I just couldn't find my way into this film. This is why I keep threatening to stop watching the category for Original Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment