Saturday, February 8, 2020

Shorts Weather!

ANIMATED SHORTS

I went with friends and between the three of us, someone slept through each of these. Somehow four of the shorts seemed to have the same sad, slow, piano soundtrack. How is that possible?

Dcera - This one was almost my favorite. It had an interesting perspective on making bids for a loved one's attention and how getting turned down causes damage and distance while meeting that bid creates connection and warmth. Even so, the story telling didn't completely make sense and resolve in a satisfactory way for me.

Hair Love - This is a lovely piece that feels good, is great story-telling and pleasing animation. Without traditional dialog, this tells of a father/daughter bonding and the ways we push out of our comfort zone in order to be there for those we love.

Kitbull - This one was completely adorable! A little kitty and a neglected Pitbull become friends. It's Pixar and cute! Yay!

Memorable -This one dealt with alzheimers and had a cool animation style. It also had a very sad piano soundtrack that lulled me right to sleep. Ooops.

Sister - This was a moving piece about the enforcement of single child families in China. The animation style was beautiful; the whole thing was motion stop animation done in wool in tones of gray. The narration was difficult for me. I'm not sure how much was lost in translation but it felt clunky and overstated.

LIVE ACTION SHORTS

I asked for one ticket and the guy said, "One adult?" I said, "Did you just ask if I'm an adult?" We laughed and moved on. Moments later I realized he wasn't asking If I'm a child, because clearly not. He was trying to determine if I am a SENIOR!!!! Ugh. Whatever, fine. Just give me the discount. 

Brotherhood - This was about snap judgments and not giving people time and space to share their difficult stories. I liked the director's shot choices. The ending felt weak.

Nefta Football Club - This was a great story of paths crossing in unexpected ways. This had humor, which is sorely missing from most of the short films. Also, I'm a big fan of movies where a drug mule is, in fact, a mule!

A Neighbor's Window - A poignant example of the-grass-is-always-greener and a reminder to stay present to your own reality, warts and all, rather than let moments slip due to envy. Good acting and production value.

Saria - Apparently, Guatamalan orphanages are their own circle of hell! This was based on true events and acted by actual children from an orphanage, so that's pretty impressive. This is an important story to share and yet I cannot get myself to call it my favorite.

A Sister - A 911 dispatch operator is a hero when she realizes a caller cannot speak openly and manages to shepherd her to safety. This was very moving to me. I think society tends to think it should be very easy for female victims of violence to speak up and get help. I appreciate a story that can demonstrate the precarious position some victims find themselves in and the nuanced approach that may need to be taken in order to extract them from a terrifying situation.



DOCUMENTARY SHORTS 

I was a little bit late for the screening because the Engineer dude drawing up plans for our remodel was late for his appointment. Also, someone took my hat during the show, I guess? I had it when I went in but not after, so that's a little creepy.

In the Absence - Devastating account of a ferry that sank in Korea, claiming the lives of over a hundred students, among others. Incompetence, apathy and faulty equipment combine in a tragic way. The timeline style for the first half is very effective.

Learning to Skateboard in a war Zone (if you're a girl) - A really joyous look at girls in Afghanistan going to school for reading, writing, math, life skills and skateboarding. It imparts a very fragile hope that things can change for the better. It is shot well and edited dynamically.

Life Overtakes Me - This one unveils a brand new medical problem for refugee children called Resignation Syndrome where they basically lose hope and slip into a coma. What the hell, humans? We need to do better. Stylistically, it was dry.

St. Louis Superman - A battle rapper and state legislator fights against gun violence after losing his brother. A beautiful story of caring for your community and being a force for change. The story telling was a bit looser and less cohesive.

Walk Run Cha Cha - A couple experiences their love through dance. The style was different; I'm not sure if I thought it worked well or not, but I appreciated the effort. It ends with a beautiful dance sequence.




No comments:

Post a Comment