Friday, January 27, 2023

Bardo: A False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths

Movie: Bardo: A False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths

Nominated for: Best Cinematography

How I watched: Netflix

When I fell asleep: At a party, then again about 4 times. This was mid-afternoon. Had to take a break and come back to it the next day.

When it had me: Mild interest, minimally

When it lost me: A lot and often

What systems does it challenge: Colonization, Immigration, Television, probably a lot more

Content Warning: I don't believe so.

This seems like a good time to talk about 2022: the year of the long movie! I'm feeling so overwhelmed by all of these movies that are over 2 1/2 hours long! It feels unnecessary. It's making me grumpy as well as making me feel old! 

This film is a wild and surrealistic meandering through a person's whole life, history and career. Many visuals are very intense and interesting, many are not. They don't stitch together all that seamlessly...it truly feels as if it goes on forever.

For me, there were brief inklings of magic encased carefully in hours of confusion. I liked some sequences more than others but overall, I felt like I was watching a self-referential film by a guy who really found himself  more deeply interesting than I could ever. The movie was simply a wave I couldn't catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment