Wednesday, January 25, 2023

EO

Movie: EO

Nominated for: Best International Feature

How I watched: Laemmle

When I fell asleep: neigh

When it had me: Donkey!

When it lost me: I was in and out, honestly

What systems does it challenge: The Circus Industrial Complex?, Carnivority (don't blame me, the internet says it is a word)

Content Warning: Animal Harm

First day of nominations, I rushed right out to see this one! A Polish film that follows a donkey as it meets people through Europe? Yes, please.

I have very warm feelings toward donkeys. I don't think it's because of Eeyore, but it could be. They seem so friendly and chill. Not cold and aloof like horses can be. Sure they can be stubborn but mostly I think they work hard and silently judge everyone until they get an ear scratch. I couldn't tell you the exact difference between donkeys, burros, onagers, mules or asses, but they are all just fine by me. 

So there was some great donkey footage in EO but overall, it wanted to make a statement about animal cruelty so it had to include too much animal cruelty for my taste.

(Spoliers ahead)

The movie goes like this, donkey with slightly inappropriate human relationship, donkey with carrot necklace, donkey with kids, donkey assassinates wolves(?), donkey and soccer, donkey in Italian soap opera, no more donkey.


No comments:

Post a Comment