Saturday, February 21, 2015

Animated Nominees

First, I apologize to everyone who works in Animation, because I'm going to lump all five nominees in one review, as if they are lesser forms of art, or just kids' stuff or something. In truth, I'm just running out of time.

Animated Features

Big Hero 6 - This one was my early favorite. Unique story, fun characters, good messages. We don't have to talk about Angelina climbing onto my lap for comfort when things got scary and me sobbing into her hair, do we? Ok, good. We are still doing the Baymax fist bump in our house and I love when a movie sticks with you like that.

Boxtrolls - So weird and wonderful. So British and gross. Seriously, how is lactose intolerance in the form of pustules a choice for a kid's movie? Whatever, I'm just glad the kids get to see art that isn't always "Princess clean", if you know I what I mean. The girls seemed to enjoy it!

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - I remember liking this one, but really don't remember too much about it, other than the mom was a complete badass who had made pretty questionable decisions and forgiving her came pretty easily to everyone. I don't really know if that's a good message about forgiveness, or just very unbelievable. This has won some things already, so I guess it was good?

Song of the Sea - This movie is soft and beautiful, very much like a lullaby. Ok, I don't know how to get around the fact that I fell asleep twice during this film and missed a good portion of it. The animation was gorgeous; folk-art inspired intricacy in every frame. I'd like to just hang this movie on my wall and call it art. But lilting, aspirated Irish voices at 11 pm on a Tuesday? Nope. I just couldn't stay awake.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya - I was unexpectedly swept away by this movie. This movie is a lovely parable that symbolizes the cycle of human life, what it means to grow up, ideas of reincarnation and pagan creation myths all in one really thoughtful and beautifully animated story. I was touched to the core by the Princess's assertion to her adopted parents, "This happiness you wished for me has been hard to bear." Wow! What a beautiful expression that sums up a whole lot of human tragedy! It is a long film that requires a bit of patience, but to me it definitely paid off.


Animated Shorts

The Bigger Picture - Dark and strange. My daughter let out a derisive laugh when one of the characters said they were looking at death, so that was fun!

The Dam Keeper - Another dark story featuring a cute pig that is perhaps harboring a dangerous form of mental illness and is having trouble making friends.

Feast - The Disney option and my daughter's favorite features a Boston Terrier that likes to eat.

Me & My Moulton - This was a really cute little short about growing up and dealing with your parents being different. The parents are modernist architects so their dining room chairs always fall down.

A Single Life - My favorite of the bunch, this one features a woman who receives a song on vinyl that controls where she is in her life depending on where you place the needle on the record. It is short, sweet, funny and witty.

No comments:

Post a Comment