Thursday, March 7, 2024

Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse

 

This makes my eyes sing!


Movie: Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse

Running Times: 2:20

Nominated for: Animated Feature

How I watched: AMC and then Netflix

When it had me: From the last movie

When it lost me: Frustration that I couldn't keep up with the fast moving references

What systems does it challenge: Systems based on trauma

This movie is utter eye candy! It is delightful, gorgeous, energized, diverse, expressive and bold. And I'm just talking about the animation. I'm blown away that the greatest material involving the MCU is coming out of Sony but the Spiderverse is the bee's knees!

Animaton style is used as emotion, especially in difficult moments between Gwen Stacy and her father. It is used as location; differentiating multiple universes. It is used as character definition; Hobie is entirely made of up ripped up newsprint that you just know came from an independent punk zine. Whenever Hobie is on screen, I find it hard to look anywhere else.

I love how deep the nerdiness of the Spiderman world goes, introducing seemingly thousands of characters, new and old. My personal favorite is Peter Parkedcar, which combines a great pun with a throwback to my own 70s era of Spiderman fandom.

The cast is fantastic all the way through and deliver lines that alternate between aspirational sarcasm and authentic weirdness at such a rapid pace that my head spins. While I'm laughing at the exchange, "What is that?" "It's a metpahor for capitalism." I've already missed three more jokes. The film is made to be rewatched, memorized and visited on the regular.

It's certainly my favorite animated film so far. But I think Miyazaki is here to claim some more accolades before he is through.


No comments:

Post a Comment