Friday, March 1, 2024

Triple Play: Attack of The Blockbuster Sequals

Here are three flagging Hollywood franchises that managed to sneak into the party!


Movie: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Running Times: 2:34

Nominated for: Original Score

How I watched: AMC

When it had me: Indy!

When it lost me: Just don't think about it too much!

What systems does it challenge: Endless Sequals! 

If you start with the lowest of expectations, it usually works out in your favor. I was afraid that this would be the most embarrassing crap ever. And it wasn't! Was Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character more of an asshole than she needed to be? Probably. Was the movie much longer than we needed? For sure. Does the plot make sense? Well, you're probably thinking too hard! This was a much better place to leave the story than that Crystal Skull mess. And this nomination is because they are afraid John Williams will die soon.


Movie: Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1

Running Times: 2:43

Nominated for: Visual Effects

How I watched: Regal

When it had me: Simon Pegg is my anchor

When it lost me: Can't take Tom Cruise seriously

What systems does it challenge: Don't care

I can't even review this movie! We made fun of it the whole time. Yes, these movies are entertaining but there's just such a formula to them that I can't tell one from another. I want this franchise to be over. I don't know if I have ever believed a performance from Tom Cruise with the exception of his role in Tropic Thunder.


Movie: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Running Times: 2:29

Nominated for: Visual Effects

How I watched: AMC

When it had me: Rocket!

When it lost me: Why is it so long?

What systems does it challenge: Animal Testing, I think.

The quality out of the MCU has been flagging and I'm not sure where to place this one. There were some funny characters and good moments that I remember. But it was SO FREAKING SAD. Why? Why did we need this story? Can't these movies just be fun? This was a brutal journey of watching painfully adorable little nuggets get tortured and harmed. Rocket is my favorite MCU character by far and I was excited to have a movie focus on him but, man, it was just such a bummer. I have no desire to rewatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment