Sunday, February 3, 2013

Good Evening...

Alfred Hitchcock is the reason I went to film school.  Well, his films were the first films I enjoyed where I became aware of the role of director.  When I was a kid, not every film was billed as "From the Director of Bedknobs and Broomsticks..."  But I quickly figured out what an "Alfred Hitchcock" film was and that I liked it.  Then I was fascinated by the fact that one guy made all of these choices and put his mark all over a film and I started paying attention to movies in a whole new way.

So I looked forward to seeing Hitchcock as an Oscar nominee for make up.  First of all, maybe I lack a complete understanding of make up but I wasn't impressed.  Anthony Hopkins did not seem completely transformed to me, or not to the degree where I would be thinking of little gold statues.  But it's seems likely that making one person look like another is probably way more difficult than making dwarfish facial hair for hundreds of dudes.  So maybe it was top notch work.

What I did enjoy was seeing Alfred Hitchcock's activities in the lobby of the Psycho premiere (which were fun if totally not true) and his wife's genius for post-production (which I think is quite real).  Let's here it for Alma!

No comments:

Post a Comment