Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Snow White Number Two

Low expectations are a marvel, aren't they?

Here's what happened:  I found Snow White and the Huntsman to be enjoyable to watch and I would categorize it as "almost good."

I enjoyed their take on the fairy tale.  The tone was dark and sometimes creepy, the costumes and production design were all fun to look at.  Charlize Theron's wounded bird version of the Wicked Queen was layered and compelling and scary.  They found a way to bring in dwarfs (I always think that should be dwarves, but I guess not) that was plausible and interesting.  The action sequences were exciting without being over done.  It was a pretty good time.

A lot has been said about Kristen Stewart, so I don't need to pile on.  Just like Keanu Reeves (who I have come to enjoy) they make her limitations work for them in this movie.  I f she seems sad, confused and introverted, well, it fits what her character has been through.  It isn't until the last 30 minutes of the film that she becomes a problem.  Why not stand up straight when giving a rousing speech to the troops rather than doubling over?  I'm sure Rupert Sanders tried asking that question, too.  And if all you need to do in the final shot of a film is stand on a dais and look good in a crowded room, look no farther than Carrie Fisher at the end of Star Wars.  I mean, she never won an Oscar, but it isn't rocket science.  Just imagine this film with Rooney Mara...

No comments:

Post a Comment