Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Moonrise Kingdom

Me and Wes Anderson have different tastes.

His films are beautiful.  Whenever I try to remember one of his films, I picture these artistic and striking tableaus.  I think of walking through a museum of bright and edgy paintings, struck by color palettes and composition.  I can never, however, recall a damn thing about the plot or emotional arc of a single one of his films.

Moonrise Kingdom is one of my favorite of his films.  These actors have mastered the art of playing a Wes Anderson caricature and they do a great job.  The film is stunning to look at and I feel somehow warmed by the quirky fire of the world he creates.  I only regret not feeling anything.  Depicting a whirlwind romance in a manner that is devoid of all emotion is pleasingly ironic but I still just feel better at the end of a film if I have been on my own emotional journey as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment