Wednesday, February 6, 2013

LOTR: The Prequel

Can we talk about how awesome the Lord of the Rings Trilogy was?  Remember that?  A sweeping new world, fantastical characters, an epic tale of good and evil, all of Middle Earth hanging in the balance and triumph only possible because of humble friendships?  What a great time that was!

Well, would you like to go back again?  We'll see the same places and meet many of the same characters though the newness will have worn off and we'll just sort of be meandering this time.  Yeah, all of the driving determination of a singular all important mission will be gone now but at least there will be whole scenes of visual effects that do not in any way serve to move the story forward.  (Thunder giants?  Why, why, why??!!)

If you decline to re-visit Middle Earth, I respect your choice.  Please re-watch the original trilogy and enjoy.  I've gone back and I am ashamed to say that I am apparently such a geek for Middle Earth that I sort of enjoyed the return trip, even while being angry about all of the above issues, and oh so many more.  I went in armed with only my extreme skepticism for the need for three hobbit films and my devastatingly lowered expectations and found that I could enjoy The Hobbit after all.  What can I say?  It's a better diversion than Mirror Mirror.

As far as it's nominations, I think they already won for all of theses exact same costumes, sets and VFX before.  So if Katherine Bigelow can't get a repeat nomination this year, I declare The Hobbit disqualified for a repeat win.

No comments:

Post a Comment