Sunday, February 17, 2013

How to Survive A Plague

How to Survive A Plague, the documentary following the activism responsible for drug development and testing that has led to the effective control of the AIDS virus is both gut wrenching and inspirational.

The amount of archival footage that was amassed and used for this film is really quite remarkable.  It made for a really complete account of the struggle that ACT UP faced and provided a great through line to the survivors' stories today.

It is a film full of fades to black, which I take some issue with.  I understand that there is a great deal of mourning built in, and the pauses facilitate that process, but it also messes with the pacing for me.  It probably stands out to me because I have been guilty of it myself.  I enjoyed this film and don't feel like it is going to be the winner.  Which means it is probably a lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment