Thursday, February 9, 2017

Meryl Streep in Florence Foster Jenkins

Florence Foster Jenkins is a little lark! The movie and the story, actually. Meryl Streep plays a society woman who loves music and can't sing. She tries anyway, and her adoring husband goes to great lengths to keep her from understanding how bad she really is.

The film is competent and well done. The acting is great from all involved and as a period piece it is especially lovely to look at. 

I couldn't quite figure out how I felt about it for the longest time.
Is it wonderful that this woman's dream was so unwaveringly supported by her husband? Is it just a terrible bore that a rich woman's entitlement allowed her to find some success where she had no particular skill? Is it tragic that this woman was self deluded and lied to by everyone around her only to become a laughing stock? I couldn't decide and so I was ill at ease watching it and never really felt connected to the story.

It took to the last line of the film before I finally felt at peace with it. Florence says on her deathbed, "People will say I couldn't sing, but no one can say I didn't sing." Well, crap! Isn't that lovely? Now I almost wish I had spent more time enjoying this movie. Because I pretty much love that message. 

Let people say I couldn't write! No one will say I didn't! Thanks, Florence.

No comments:

Post a Comment