Thursday, February 2, 2017

Ruth Negga in Loving

The good news: Loving is the true story of the interracial couple whose court case became the Supreme Court test case that eventually legalized interracial marriage. This movie does not try to be overly dramatic and overdone. It is a simple, quiet story about two shy people. It is beautiful to see that these are the last people you would expect to push a cause all the way to the national level and yet their straightforward love for one another, combined with the particulars of their court case led them to be the couple that broke the ban!

The bad news: This is a simple, quiet story about two shy people. Almost too much so. While I respected the lack of over-dramatization, I did wonder if it suffered from a little under-dramatization? I'm not saying it was boring, exactly, and I wouldn't want the film makers to manufacture drama just to keep me interested (which in fact they did in a couple of smallish suspense sequences to pretty good effect) but the film did flat line for me a bit.

More good news: The two main actors turn in really great performances. They were subtle and nuanced and sincere and real. I have no complaints about the acting in Loving. Congrats to Ruth Negga!

No comments:

Post a Comment