Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

 Movie: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Nominated for: Actor in a Leading Role, Actress in a Leading Role
How I watched: Netflix
When I fell asleep: I didn't
When it had me: When Chadwick Boseman was onscreen
When it lost me: All other times
What I have to say:  

Some theatre just doesn't really translate to the screen. Like Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. Chadwick Boseman and Viola Davis were both amazing. I feel like it was more of a vehicle for Chadwick, but maybe I just viewed it that way because I was feeling the whole time that he would probably get a posthumous Oscar for this role. Which would be deserved and feel both satisfying and super sad. Otherwise the pacing between scenes felt off. The movie only offers small bits of plot stitched together with music. That could work, but didn't for me this time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh shoot! I really want this to be good. I just saw Viola Davis' 60 Minutes interview and I love her so much.

    ReplyDelete