Thursday, March 18, 2021

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Movie: The Trial of the Chicago 7
Nominated for: Best Picture, Actor in a Supporting Role, Original Song, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Film Editing
How I watched: Netflix
When I fell asleep: I didn't
When it had me: Early on
When it lost me: Sometimes I just had to stop and shake my head because Sorkin is SOOO Sorkin
What I have to say: 

I very much enjoyed this film! Sorkin has made great strides in his directing skill since his debut of Molly's Game. This movie feels like a force with a pace that kind of grabs you and pulls you along through what feels like it should be a completely unbelievable set of events in our history.

He manages to build in a kind of mystery to the story that unfolds gradually over the course of the trial and then solve that mystery through a detailed look at language and a demonstration that big moments turn on small specifics. It is SO SORKIN that I was both exasperated and delighted, leaning more heavily toward delighted.

The casting is great, showcasing this disparate and passionate group of characters that converged on the DNC in Chicago. The title tells us this is a court room drama, which I love but it can be tricky to get stuck in the same room for so much of the film. Sorkin does an excellent job of breaking that up with flashbacks and time out of court. 

I learned things, I enjoyed the story and I felt satisfied by the wrapping up of this re-telling of true events. Additionally, we get to reflect on the divisive nature of politics, the ugly pervasiveness of racism and the mechanics of how a riot gets started. All of which are extremely relevant in our current landscape. It's a very solid film.

No comments:

Post a Comment