Saturday, March 27, 2021

Soul

Movie: Soul
Nominated for: Animated Feature Film
How I watched: Disney +
When I fell asleep: Nope
When it had me: When they showed people "in the zone"
When it lost me: I don't recall that it did
What I have to say: 

I actually did NOT want to see this movie. I was SO afraid it would be devastatingly sad. I knew it had to do with death and during the year of our pandemic, I just didn't want to think about it. But everyone said it was great so I watched it.

And it WAS great! It turned out it was less about death than it was defining passion, discovering purpose and living fearlessly as yourself. I can't complain about any of that. Also? A cat! I love cats. When they first showed someone "in the zone" through their music, I thought, "Yes! I've been there in meditation." Later they showed people getting to that space through their own meditations or other methods and I was kind of floored. Like, how did they nail that? I guess it's actually universal? Mind blown.

I haven't seen all the nominees in this category yet but I can't imagine anything else winning it yet. These movies from Pixar are just so perfect in tone and flawless in their story telling. It's always a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment