Sunday, March 21, 2021

Sound of Metal

Movie: Sound of Metal
Nominated for: Best Picture, Actor in a Supporting Role, Original Screenplay, Actor in a Leading Role, Achievement in Sound, Film Editing
How I watched: Amazon Prime
When I fell asleep: My eyes closed a couple of times, but I fought it
When it had me: Pretty much from the start
When it lost me: I'm not sure
What I have to say: 

I don't know that I love this title for the film? It sounds cool but does it tell us much? I'm not sure. And it doesn't matter. This is a solid film about a musician's journey into deafness. The film makers do such a good job of immersing you in his experience that you cannot help but ask yourself what you would do, how you would react and whether you would be able to cope. I consider that the good kind of uncomfortable for a movie goer. 

It also raises larger questions about how we deal with change. Is it better to try to adapt yourself to fit the life you had already been living and continue to reach for the future you once envisioned? Or does it make more sense in the face of huge change to adapt your entire life and future to fit your new set of circumstances? Sometimes there isn't a choice, but often it's a matter of mindset. Even when we face smaller changes, do we recognize that the old dreams and goals no longer fit the person we have become? Or do we doggedly pursue our old notions of success or happiness even when they no longer make sense? I do love a film that makes me ask these kinds of questions.

The acting was great. I love that they hired many deaf actors; how often do their agents call them? The sound design was particularly smart and integral to the story telling.


No comments:

Post a Comment