Friday, March 19, 2021

Nomdaland

Movie: Nomadland
Nominated for:  Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Actress in a Leading Role, Director, Cinematography, Film Editing
How I watched: Hulu
When I fell asleep: Watched during the day, so no.
When it had me: Trying to understand the lifestyle drew me in instantly
When it lost me: It did not
What I have to say:

Here's a movie that is such a different animal compared to most Hollywood film making and I'm thrilled that it is the favorite for the Best Picture this year. Nomadland feels part narrative, part documentary, part plot-driven and part poetry. It is an immensely emotional, compassionate, patient and thoughtful study of a Nomadic style of retirement (or living, in general) that is probably pretty foreign to most of us.

I experienced it as gentle, subtle invitation to be with people in an intimate setting and witness their joy and vulnerability. I felt it challenge my own perceptions and force me to think more deeply about people who choose to live unconventionally. I found myself questioning American capitalism and the choices it forces people to make; either join the system and spend all of your life's energy in working for someone else's aims, or struggle to live unsupported on the outside, but live always for yourself.

Because it was such a quiet sort of film, I was left feeling like maybe this lacks the punch of a Best Picture Film. But I actually don't think that is a fair assessment; it's just how The Academy has my brain trained. I'd be happy to see this film win.

No comments:

Post a Comment