Saturday, January 12, 2013

Argo was Xena's Horse

And that's the first reason I like this movie.  It brings back great memories of the Warrior Princess, herself.

Also, Argo is solid, competent, non-flashy movie-making.  My favorite kind, actually.  The script and the acting were free to shine and the build and pacing were expert enough that you couldn't relax watching it, despite knowing the outcome.  It told me a story I hadn't heard before and poked fun at both Hollywood and D.C. 

What more could you ask of future Senator Affleck?  Which is why there's a bit of a controversy over him not getting a nomination.  Perhaps Affleck lacks the flair of auteurism, but then, so does Russell for Silver Linings Playbook and so does Clint Eastwood for that matter.  Maybe the academy thinks he spent so much time on screen that he must have had a lot of help with the directorial duties?  Who knows.  But I've learned that someone always gets snubbed.  I'm still not over Baz Luhrman getting passed over for Moulin Rouge.

That being said, kudos to Argo for really being one of the best pictures of the year.


(I named a car Argo.)

No comments:

Post a Comment