Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Did they kill the little girl, mommy?"

"Uh...stammer, stammer...well, you see, some people are..."

Crazy!  Crazy for making a kids' movie out of a B rate horror film!

Replace ParaNorman's awesome looking updated claymation with live action and now I'm watching The Craft II: Electric Boogaloo with my daughters.  Thanks, Sam Fell and Chris Butler!

Ok.  Let me take a second to calm down.  I do find the lack of trite subject matter refreshing and it's not like I haven't been looking for a way to intro my girls to horror movies anyway, so maybe it wasn't such a bad idea.  It did take me by surprise because somehow I thought it would be more of a Hotel Transylvania approach.  You know, "Ghosts and monsters, they're just like us!"  But, no, the zombies were scary for quite a while and the real world implications for having a paranormal gift were pretty atrocious.  Plus, it was a town full of dicks, let's be honest.

But, teaching moments?  There were plenty! My four year old went to bed saying, "I like the zombies, they were cute." (They were not.)  And my seven year old said she liked the evil witch because she understood her, so I guess that's a win?

Enjoyable, if uncomfortable, viewing with little ones.  Can't wait for Frankenweenie.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment