Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Re-Animating Science with Love

Frankenweenie is the true tale of Tim Burton's childhood in animated form.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've got that right.  My kids and I both preferred this one to ParaNorman as a kids' movie dealing in issues of death and matters of the occult.

It is clever and funny with wonderful nods to all sorts of classic horror films (my favorite being the Birds homage when characters hide in a phone booth from an attacking horde of sea monkeys.)  The parents misunderstand Victor at times but they aren't horrible people so I thank you for that, Tim Burton.

It talks about the importance of doing science experiments with love in your heart which kind of blows my mind with its simplistic brilliance and makes me think scientists should listen up.  Science harnessed for the wrong reasons yields monsters we will be hard-pressed to defeat (I'm looking at you, Monsanto).

No comments:

Post a Comment