Thursday, January 24, 2013

Zero Dark Edge of My Seat

This film was important to me.  This film is my American history.  I marked off the events in this film with the milestones of my life.  This terrorist attack happened the year I got married, that one two weeks before my first child was born, etc.  I felt firsthand the pain, fear, frustration, confusion, ambivalence and anger, anger, anger that we all experienced.  This is my Normady beach moment in film and I wonder if I will linger over it in future viewings.  I did not know how badly I needed to see this go down, but I did.

I think Zero Dark Thirty was expertly made.  I thought it showed restraint and avoided cliches and stereotypes.  I thought it gave the proper heft and seriousness to these events without either minimizing or elevating them.  (And I think any time you want me to love a navy seal while he's sorting through adults and children to kill just the right ones, put Chris Pratt in a uniform.) My only complaint was a five to eight minute section of the film where the  pacing just seemed to fall right through the floor. 

I think nailing this movie down was harder to do than it looked on screen and I do think Kathryn Bigelow was very sadly and mistakenly left off of the nominee list.  My assumption has been that they just decided you can't get nominated two years in a row, but they were wrong to leave her off.  (Unless, that is,  they were simply following the unspoken rule of the cinema: it's not a good film if they don't say the title in the movie!)


No comments:

Post a Comment