Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Cinderella

Cinderella is only up for costume design. And it was delightful seeing Cate Blanchett parade around in such stunning dresses. I'll watch Cate Blanchett parade around in absolutely anything though.

But I can't really remember anything else about this movie being delightful. Cinderella is a hard one to sell. I like the animated movie for nostalgic reasons. But all of the messages of the movie are a mess. Cinderella is treated like a slave but never stops being sweet as pie? Nope, not my style. She and her prince fall in love by looking attractive and dancing for a few hours? They know nothing about each other at all. Please!

Animation allows these old Disney movies to read like the storybooks or fables that they are and that allows a forgiveness to outdated ideas or overly simplistic characters. Once I see them acted by real actors, the whole thing falls apart.

But the dresses look nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment