Monday, February 22, 2016

The Danish Girl

Eddie. Redmayne's. Face.

Many of you already know that I disagree with it. I was not looking forward to The Danish Girl, because I was worried that Mr. Redmayne would show me his "look how hard I'm acting face." But no, I got to see a new face! This time it was the "look how good it feels to be a woman!" face.

I was equally unimpressed.

(I would like to take a moment to apologize to any Eddie Redmayne fans who are reading this. If his acting is working for you then I am truly happy about that. I know I love some actors that annoy the crap out of other people. It happens! There is just a fundamental lack of chemistry between his face and my eyes.)

Overall, this is a pretty great film. It provides such a fascinating look at a relationship between two people who love each other greatly and must figure out what that really means to them both as their relationship drastically changes.

Alicia Vikander is great in the role, not as the "suffering wife" which we see all too often in these biopics, but as a strong, talented loving human being who also suffers through losing her husband and watching Lilli struggle to be who she really is.

I felt more in touch with her struggle than I was with the struggle of Lilli Elbe, which seemed like a problem for me. I wish I had felt the real pain that "Einar" felt as a man and then later the triumph of Lilli when she was finally freed. Instead, what I got from Lilli was that she was really proud of how well Eddie was playing her. 

He'll almost certainly win.

No comments:

Post a Comment