Monday, February 15, 2016

The Bridge of Spies

I am not even sure how to review Bridge of Spies. There is no way it can really be as bad as I thought it was when I watched it with my friends.

While the acting was fine, we did not connect to the story, the story-telling choices, or most of all the lighting scheme! We basically had a lot of questions about what was going on, why things went down the way they did and why on earth every scene seemed to be backlit by the mother ship from Close Encounters!

Unfortunately for Bridge of Spies, once a movie loses this group of viewers, it's impossible to get us back. We tried so hard to hold on and take the movie seriously. Eventually we were reduced to counting the number of lights in each room (three lamps in one parking attendant shack seems excessive, no?) and joking about how Tom Hanks is so Tom Hanks that he can charm his way through the Cold War and a cold at the same gosh-darned time! 

We wondered if maybe people simply saw that this movie combined the talents of Spielberg, the Coen Brothers and Tom Hanks and just assumed it was worthy of high praise? But I figure they can't all be wrong. It must be us! 

Please leave comments and tell me what you liked about this film! I'd like to know what I missed!


No comments:

Post a Comment