Saturday, February 27, 2016

Stragglers

Trumbo

I love the 1940s and screenwriting and Bryan Cranston! Trumbo was right in my comfort zone and I enjoyed it completely! I definitely need to look into setting up a writing desk over my bathtub, although it might be slightly more dangerous for my laptop.

Bryan Cranston is so likable, it makes me wonder if Dalton Trumbo was that likable, too. I know that Walter White in the hands of another actor would have been another thing entirely, so Dalton Trumbo may have gotten a really good deal, here!


Creed

I'm not fond of boxing movies so this movie was not in my comfort zone. These movies always come down to a final fight against all odds to prove to yourself that you can overcome your own doubts, demons and swollen eyes. So, for me, a boxing movie has to have a lot of other stuff going on really well in order to make me feel ok about watching that again.

In the case of Creed, a lot of what you saw was a nostalgic rehash of Rocky, of course. It just happened to be done really well! Everyone said Stallone was great and I just didn't believe it until I saw it. Yeah, he was really great!  Also, Michael B. Jordan was great and another ignored black actor this year. It was a solid movie and very enjoyable. Can we not having any boxing movies next year, please?



The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

I watched this late one night and dozed on and off throughout, which was fun because the movie was kind of like a fever dream anyway. An old man disappears and reveals all kinds of crazy stuff about his past. There were elephants and midgets and stuff. I can't properly review this movie, but the make up and the old man character really is amazing!


45 Years

I almost forgot this one!

Charlotte Rampling was nominated for this movie where after 45 years of marriage she is forced to look at her whole life with her husband differently, after learning about his previous love affair.

It is a film that holds a lot back. They don't ever let Rampling talk about what she is feeling, we just have to watch her and figure it out. Sometimes this is a really wonderful experience and sometimes it gets a little confusing. It was a very interesting watch and I also sort of just wished I was seeing The VVitch.




No comments:

Post a Comment