Sunday, February 21, 2016

Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs was oddly unsatisfying for me.

(That's what she said.)

You've got Aaron Sorkin's jam packed, cutting dialog and yet it is packaged in a much softer kind of Danny Boyle presentation. I'm not really sure if that was the problem I had, but it did feel weird.

So the gist of this thing is, does being a genius visionary with the power to change the world also mean you have to be insufferable? I'm sure I still don't know.

Aaron Sorkin wants me to believe, yes! Just listen to the man. He is a genius and a jerk. Get over it! (However he also gives Seth Rogen the best line of the film, "It's not binary! You can be decent and talented!")

Danny Boyle says, "Ah, Lighten up! His life wasn't easy. He eventually acknowledged his own daughter! And he made the iPod, just for her!"

So I ended the film feeling ambivalent.

Also? Steve Wozniak is cast as Seth Rogen? I like Seth and all, but you can't look at him without thinking about him doing weird stuff with James Franco. Jobs gets played by Michael Fassbender? And Woz gets Rogen? It's like they are telling you not to take Woz seriously, ever. That seemed a little harsh to me.

Kate Winslett is so great. How she rocked that barely there accent the whole time, flawlessly, was beyond me.

It's an interesting look at the guy who changed all of our lives. I learned a few things and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment