Saturday, February 13, 2016

Mad Max: Fury Road

I was totally shocked when the nominations came out! I never even considered that Mad Max:Fury Road would get some love. And it got a lot of love! It is nominated for best film, direction, editing, sound editing and mix, costumes, make up, production design and visual effects. That's a sizable vote of confidence!

I wasn't a fan of the Mad Max franchise before, but I like Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron so much that I was curious. The first ten to twelve minutes of the movie were hard. I was really close to losing all interest right off the bat. There was a lot of grotesque, over-the-top, post-apocalyptic emptiness and I was about to stand up and shout, "I don't care!"

Then we meet Imperator Furiosa, played by Theron and find out how dire her cause is and suddenly I have something to care about. From that point on I was enthralled with the pure and joyous feminism put forth on the screen. Women fighting back? Women helping women? Women seeking their utopia? Old women warrior badasses? Oh, my goddess! Yes, yes, yes and yes, please!

The whole movie is just a big kinetic, excessive, absurdly gratifying eye party! So. Much. Going. On. And yet you never feel lost (and I always thank the editor for that).

Charlize carries the movie beautifully and Tom Hardy says more with a series of grunts than most actors can with a whole Shakespearean soliloquy! (I like him a little bit.)

It was super enjoyable for me and clearly the Academy enjoyed it as well! It would be wild if this film ran away with a bunch of wins!


No comments:

Post a Comment