Thursday, February 25, 2016

Theeb

So the day came for my first of the foreign film offerings and I really wasn't in the mood for this movie. But I have to catch them when I can and so I headed out for Theeb's one screening of the day at my local art house cinema.

And I fell asleep.

Wait, let me go back.

Theeb is described as a middle eastern Western. It is a coming of age story about a Bedouin boy whose life is turned upside down by the arrival of a British soldier (World War I). It is shot beautifully and acted well. For me it was all about loyalties; how do you prioritize them, what will you sacrifice for yours, and when might they shift?

It is a quiet film punctuated by brief spurts of action that were extremely interesting, if not completely gripping. So, it was a quiet film, as I say, and there were also may beautiful shots of a sleepy kind of desert and a long bit of travel and it was so very warm in the theatre...

All in all, I would guess I missed no more than eight minutes of the film. It just happened to be the eight minutes that set up the big decision that the main character had to make about his own loyalties at the end. So, that's a bummer. I sure wanted to ask if they could just roll the film back for me real quick. "Don't you know who I am? I write an obscure Oscar blog!"

Ah, well.

Updated: This screening was such a fail for me and also ended up being the only one of the five nominees for foreign film that I manages to view this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment