Friday, February 5, 2016

Sicario

Sicario starts with a tense opening that is filled with danger, horror and high stakes. It is such a tightly wound little sequence and tells you that you had better buckle up because you are entering a world where anything can happen.

And then Josh Brolin shows up and ruins it all! Thanks, Josh.

I'm sorry, that's not fair. I do not blame Josh Brolin for ruining Sicario for me. It was a mere coincidence of timing. But Brolin's character shows up to introduce the central mystery to the film - who makes up the task force that is going after the drug cartels and how will they handle the problem? This is what our main character, played by Emily Blunt, is trying to figure out and this mystery just wasn't enough to keep me interested in the film.

I wasn't surprised by the nature of Benicio Del Toro's character, thgough I feel like maybe I would have liked to be. Emily Blunt keeps getting shocked over and over again that the task force is not following proper procedure or even adhering to the laws of the United States. But as soon as Brolin showed up in flip flops I knew they were up to no good, so I was frustrated with her for not catching on quicker. And maybe my own belief that there is no rhyme or reason to the violence of drug cartels made me feel as if there was no reason to get too invested.

However, the cinematography was beautiful throughout and the music was spot on for a tense and well paced piece. There was a lot to like in this movie but for some reason I just couldn't connect to or care about the mystery that was supposed to be driving it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment