Friday, March 25, 2022

Coming 2 America

Movie: Coming 2 America

Nominated for: Best Make Up and Hairstyling
How I watched: Prime Video
When I fell asleep: About halfway through
When it had me: Salt N Pepa
When it lost me: It never had me
What I have to say:
I was not a fan of the first movie. I didn't like a lot of things that I was supposed to like in the 1980s, so it makes sense. I did not want to watch this movie.

What I saw felt like half-hearted attempts to update jokes from a long time ago. Also, a lot of musical numbers, which surprised me. Early in the film they reference how last time the King changes the rules to update the kingdom so I knew they were going to have to update the rules so that the one truly competent, invested, intelligent and well trained character could be in charge and I just couldn't stomach a bunch of shenanigans before we got there, so I fell asleep. My husband says I made the right choice.

Also? Leslie Jones character straight up rapes the Eddie Murphy character and they never address it. They treat it as a kind of a blessing? Ugh. That's all I can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment