Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Spencer

Movie: Spencer

Nominated for: Best Actress
How I watched: Prime Video
When I fell asleep: Not really
When it had me: Did it?
When it lost me: Opening Credits
What I have to say:
My Backstory: First, I'm admitting to not being a Twilight person. I don't understand any of that. Kristen Stewart appeared to be in so much physical discomfort during those movies that I thought that was her only acting trick. But I liked her as a child actress in The Panic Room and I also enjoyed her performance in Still Alice. So when people make fun of her lesser performances now, I really want to see her make a strong comeback! I'm cheering her on.

Now she is nominated! For an Oscar! And I am loathe to report that I basically thought everything about the movie was horrid. 

Your first (and most important) cue comes right in the opening credits when a title card tells you this movie is "A Fable based on Tragic Events" (or something close to that.) Oh no! I really wanted to turn it off right then. This is going to be a fable? About real people? Ugh. I felt like they were saying, "We like Princess Di so we decided to make up a bunch of stuff about her!" Great. Now if I learn some interesting tidbit I can just not trust that anything is true. And NOW I can spend two hours watching someone's else's fantasy about the famous Princess? Or engage in your prolonged speculations?

Kristen Stewart opened the film with some weird head bob when speaking and lost all of us in the first few minutes. Then there were dance sequences, dream sequences, a lesbian who wasn't real, a weigh in ceremony that may or may not be accurate, a ghost queen, and a recurring scarecrow. Even though I was almost able to connect with one or two small moments, this was an indecipherable mish-mash for me all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment