Sunday, March 27, 2022

Writing With Fire

Movie: Writing With Fire

Nominated for: Best Documentary Feature
How I watched: Vudu
When I fell asleep: No, watched in a panic right before the Awards
When it had me: Women Journalists
When it lost me: It didn't
What I have to say:
A documentary that made me both hopeful and sad. It is amazing to see low caste women in India get educated and dedicate themselves to journalism and a belief that they can make a difference in this world.

They are struggling against a political climate that is becoming more religion based and with attacks on journalists, including these women, with personal threats and claims of fake news. It is sad for me to realize that the push toward right wing politics, authoritarian government and fewer rights for women is a global problem. It makes me wonder what hope we have of resisting the rising tide. I guess watching these women work with amazing integrity and bravery can give me the courage I need to keep up the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment