Wednesday, March 23, 2022

The Worst Person in the World

Movie: The Worst Person in the World

Nominated for: Best International Feature, Best Original Screenplay
How I watched: Laemmle
When I fell asleep: I felt my eyes get heavy in the middle somewhere
When it had me: A Game of not cheating
When it lost me: I was in and out, I guess
What I have to say:
There is usually at least one International Feature that charms me beyond belief. I was hoping this one would be it and I got let down. I don't know what it's about, other than life. And choices. And perhaps the randomness of everything?

I'm struggling to say anything about this movie because it inspired no thought in me. Feels like I have hit the fatigue portion of my Oscar viewings. The main character is a little unsettled and capricious in her approach to life. She is far from the worst person. Perhaps it is expressing that she felt like the worst person in the world for not wanting children? That is understandable; I know people judge harshly when you don't conform to the social norm.

She does sketchy things, she does kind things. She is attracted to someone at a party and rather than cheat on their partners, they spend the whole night thinking of weirdly intimate things to do that aren't cheating. That was the one really charming scene for me. Otherwise, I was just there watching and wondering why.

It had a twelve chapter structure that oddly made the film feel longer to me as it began functioning as a countdown. There were times when the narrator would narrate the conversation while the characters were also having the conversation and that felt clunky and annoying to me. I felt like there was a bright personality to this film that was a little lost to me by my language barrier. I've got to keep looking for my charmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment