Thursday, March 24, 2022

Free Guy

Movie: Free Guy

Nominated for: Best Visual Effects
How I watched: In the theatre, twice. Once on Disney+
When I fell asleep: Never
When it had me: Ryan Reynolds
When it lost me: Never
What I have to say:
This was the first film I went back to after the pandemic shut down. And I loved it SO MUCH! I took my family back the next day to see it again, and they loved it SO MUCH! The power of going somewhere again and then getting to feel light hearted and joyful! Wow!

Ryan Reynolds plays the naive extreme in this one; kind of like his own take on Elf, and it is delightful. That can be enough to carry a whole movie, but he doesn't have to do that this time. Lil Rel is here to represent a pure and beautiful male friendship, which is so hot, I can't even. Taika is making Taika choices as the villain which is always a really good time. Additionally, Jody Comer and Joe Keery have enough charm and believability that you can stomach a whole unrequited love thing, too!

The movie is pure cinematic joy and my favorite film of the year, consistently since I saw it. It's the film I needed and one that will be rewatched many times in our house.


No comments:

Post a Comment