Wednesday, February 22, 2023

All That Breathes

Movie: All That Breathes

Nominated for: Best Documentary Feature

How I watched: HBO Max

When I fell asleep: No

When it had me: Care for Birds

When it lost me: Not really

What systems does it challenge: War, oppression, Planet abuse

Content Warning: Animal Harm

This film had careful attention to shot selection, lively and interesting subjects, precise editing and content that draws you in. Add them together and you get a really lovely meditation on the meaning of life.

This deals with pollution and bird rescue in Mumbai. In the background are political unrest, humans vs. environment, deep friendship and what it takes to keep hope and continue striving.

With a high emphasis on shots with reflections, including many that juxtapose human and animal struggle within the same frame and one that made me gasp with its gorgeous capture of a plane reflected in a field of trash, you are constantly invited to see the world from a new perspective or in a way you hadn't considered before.

There is struggle, sadness, anxiety and hope and intermingled very masterfully. I've been waiting for a gem! I found one!

No comments:

Post a Comment